Sunday, December 3, 2006

Potter's Top Ten Revenge Movies

This is my list of the top ten movies where at least one of the main themes is revenge. This list is in no particular order.

1. Braveheart
One of the most satisfying scenes in this movie, is when Gibson takes down the british outpost by his village, his thirst for revenge starting the noble struggle against oppression and injustice.
2. Oldboy
This entire movie is centered on two men's obsession for revenge. Crazy movie, with incredible full orchestra music and beautiful cinematography.


3. Class of 1984
I'm a sucker for 80s movies, and I haven't seen this one in a long while, so if I see it again it may not be as good as I remember it. But basically its about a new teacher at a rough inner city high school, that has an elite group of kids that do whatever they want. When they try to teach the new teacher a lesson about who he's dealing with, the teacher flips out hardcore and sweet revenge ensues.
4. The Prestige
Another movie centralized on 2 men's obsession, one for revenge. This to me was by far one of the best movies of 2006, with masterful storytelling elements in it.
5. Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2
This movie needs no explanation. I did perfer vol 2 over vol 1, only because it focused more on dialog, and I love good dialog. The dialog may have been cheesy at times, but it was always delivered expertly.

6. The Count of Monte Cristo
I've never read the book, but I'd imagine this movie did a great job of bring the book to the screen. The beginning does a good job with character development to make you feel the Count's lust for revenge.
7. City of God
An incredible film about the ghettos of brazil in the 70s. Shows the destructive reciprocal nature of revenge and violence.
8. The Hills Have Eyes
The main, and pretty much only thing, that I liked about this movie was the brutal visceral revenge sequence. It was immensely satisfying to watch.
9. Heathers
I guess this is the hardcore dark comedy version of all the John Hughes 80s movies. Christian Slater and Winona Ryder kill off their materialistic shallow high school jocks and cheerleaders.
10. Ichi the Killer
I can't remember if this movie has anything to do with revenge, or if its just a bloody gorey movie. Nonetheless, not many people have seen it, so I'm putting it on here. The only movie by Takashii Miike that I genuinely liked, I think all his other movies are just creepy and boring.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

In reference to number 8 on the revenge list, "Heathers"....Well I am truly sorry Potter, but the only good Christian Slater movie is the damned one with the monkey heart. And I will trust you to remember that, because he is a constant disappointment on screen and is the reason why Eric Roberts cries so much. Not to mention he is a more Hollywood version of Middletown's one and only Nick Fink.