Monday, March 19, 2007

Zodiac is an awesome movie


I saw Zodiac tonight, and it was really friggin' awesome. The plot development, acting, dialog, directing and everything else was spot on in this movie. My only gripe is it is really long, at 2 hours and 40 minutes, and it feels that long, but not in a bad way like the last 30 minutes of Return of the King. It didn't drag at all, it just had a lot to get across, and probably to convey the long passage of time from where it starts to where it ends. Se7en, Zodiac, and Silence of the Lambs are the only serial killer movies I've seen and liked. And each of those movies I liked a lot, cause they were so well done with amazing character and plot development. All other serial killer movies I've seen I thought were pretty crappy. I can't think of any examples. Oh yeah, the bone collector, all the Saw movies, some weird one with Christopher Lambert, and that one with that one guy.

On a side note, I've come to the conclusion that 300 wasn't a very good movie. Too many contrived ultra lame scenes like the queen stabbing the guy and the persian coins falling all over the place and everyone screaming traitor or the scene where the son gets his head cut off as he looks admiringly at his father. This critic from the website deep-focus.com where I found many good foreign films at over the years said my thoughts exactly "Some of Snyder’s shot-for-shot recreations of Miller’s panels are admittedly arresting, but they feel more like graphic art writ large, splendid in their isolation from one another, than like elements of cinematic grammar. (While it was much more lively, Sin City suffered from the same formal problem, which it seems the filmmakers should have anticipated — why would you expect a string of images that are designed to work as narrative on a comic-book page to perform the same function on a movie screen?)". I don't think I could watch 300 in its entirety ever again, as theres just snippets of it that are visually dazzling, but nothing in the means of an engaging storyline.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

UGH. You shouldn't become a critic.

Leigh said...

SEE I told you Zodiac would be the greatest movie playing at that theatre! Plus I was named after that guy. I also think there was someone lurking in my front yard last night.......